Katherine K. Huang is a founding partner of Huang Ybarra Gelberg & May LLP. She focuses her practice on commercial litigation ranging from two-party contract disputes to complex, multi-party controversies in industries including the high-tech, pharmaceutical, energy, financial and legal services, media and entertainment, and manufacturing sectors.
Prior to forming Huang Ybarra Gelberg & May LLP, she was a partner at the nationally recognized Am Law 100 law firm Munger, Tolles & Olson LLP. During her time there, Ms. Huang successfully defended corporations against a wide variety of claims, from securing the dismissal of tortious interference claims against a government contractor on summary judgment to defeating multimillion dollar contract and fraud claims against an energy company in arbitration. Ms. Huang was most recently the principal of her own law practice, where she represented clients in litigation as well as advised clients on business deals and prelitigation disputes.
Ms. Huang began her legal career serving as a law clerk to the Honorable Samuel A. Alito, Jr., then on the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit.
Ms. Huang received her J.D. from Yale Law School, where she was Editor-in-Chief of the Yale Symposium on Law and Technology. She completed her undergraduate education at Harvard University, graduating summa cum laude with a degree in Chemistry.
Ms. Huang is dedicated to supporting her community. She serves on the board of directors of the Westside Infant-Family Network, a nonprofit organization that provides mental health therapy and basic services to young children and their families. A longtime educator, Ms. Huang has also taught creative writing and language skills to elementary and middle school students. She has trained and mentored numerous law students and new attorneys. Ms. Huang is proficient in Taiwanese and Mandarin Chinese, and is conversant in Spanish.
- Representing medical device distributor in business tort litigation that resulted in 8-figure jury trial verdict for client against medical device manufacturer
- Obtaining a court order after a 20-day trial that required former directors to return funds they took from a non-profit public benefit corporation
- Negotiating a favorable settlement on behalf of a building products corporation against a defendant that infringed its patent and trademark rights
- Securing dismissal of manufacturer’s breach of contract, unfair competition, and interference claims against client
- Obtaining spoliation sanctions against a litigation adversary that failed to preserve text messages and emails
- Winning a complete defense verdict for an energy company after arbitration
- Arguing before the United States Court of Appeals to secure dismissal of RICO claims against a major law firm
- Securing the dismissal of tortious interference claims against a government contractor
- Asserting patent infringement claims on behalf of a technology innovation company
- Obtaining compensation for a defense contractor after a competing company breached their agreement
- Representing a financial services corporation in recovering losses caused by securities fraud
- Litigating breach of contract claims on behalf of a software company in disputes over video game development
- Obtaining preliminary relief for an online commercial information company from a competitor’s business tactics
- Advising a pharmaceutical manufacturer on joint venture agreements with biotechnology start-ups
- Negotiating the dismissal of fraud claims against an investment fund
- Blocking intrusive discovery into the finances of a non-party
- Defending an individual sued by an investment bank for breach of contract
- Representing an executive officer in civil and criminal government investigations
AWARDS, PUBLICATIONS, SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS, & RECOGNITIONS:
- 2017 & 2016 Southern California Super Lawyer
- 2015 Top Women Attorneys of Southern California, Los Angeles Magazine
- 2015, Daily Journal’s “Top 20 Under 40“
- 2009, 2010, 2011, and 2015 – Southern California Super Lawyer, Rising Star